The benefits of becoming a Friends volunteer are many:
- To help provide financial and volunteer support to the Desert Outdoor Center
- To participate in programs and events taking place at the Desert Outdoor Center
- To engage in our own love of the outdoors in a beautiful setting
Volunteers get to indulge in their interests in nature and education by working with an incredible staff, all of whom bring years of wisdom, energy and imagination to the Desert Outdoor Center. It's a very dynamic experience and – programs change, develop and morph into new ones. The gift of service to the Desert Outdoor Center is rewarded in many ways: volunteers use their personal stories, experiences and education to help make the Desert Outdoor Center come to life; they form connections with our board, staff, and other volunteers; passion for the state and its nature develops through volunteering and often the strongest bonds become those found within ourselves.
Want to be a volunteer? Here are a few ways you can get involved...
- Learn. Volunteers can learn about environmental education, study the desert's fascinating biology and enjoy special events such as Stargazing and the annual meeting.
- Help obtain donated items such as REI camping and clothing, backpacks, and other outdoor-related items.
- Staffing at event tables. The Friends have recently joined the Peoria Chambers of Commerce and will be attending mixers and telling our story. Come join us, these are fun! We're looking at other outreach events as well, any ideas?
- Teach at the Center. Many volunteers bring a lifetime of experience and education to pass along. Experience truly is the best teacher.
- Write articles/blogs. We‘re always looking for interesting insights into any topic relating to the environment. Fresh voices are welcome.
- Maintenance. Ongoing shoreline cleanup, garden care, painting, re-seeding...there's never enough hours – or bodies – to come help out. We also have a lot of fun along the way.
- Join the board. Our board is always looking for new members at large – we'll even take small ones! We meet quarterly and brainstorm. The staff attends and gets everyone caught up; it's a great way to stay connected.
- Social media. Are you glued to your Twitter/Facebook/Linked-In accounts? Well, we have an avenue for your hobby. TTYL?